Growing up, I absolutely hated tuna noodle casserole – it was guaranteed PB&J night! Of course, that was back in the day of the terrible boxed stuff full of dried veggies and salty sauce. Now that my tastes have changed and I have come to embrace all things tuna and noodles! This recipe is a riff on the classic with the addition of mushrooms and it’s super-creamy. What a perfect quick dinner that won’t gross out your kids!
TUNA NOODLE CASSEROLE WITH MUSHROOMS
- 12 Ounces Uncooked Egg Noodles
- 12 Ounces Canned Tuna, Drained
- 2 Cups Sliced Mushrooms
- 1 Tbs. Butter
- 1 Cup Frozen Green Peas, Thawed
- 16 Ounces Low-Fat Sour Cream
- 1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
- 2 Tsp. Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tsp. Parsley
- 2 Tsp. Garlic Salt
- 1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper
- 3/4 Cup Shredded Swiss Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Saute mushrooms in butter until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes. Set aside.
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Fold tuna, peas and cooked mushrooms into noodles.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sour cream, mayo, mustard, parsley, garlic salt and pepper.
- Fold sour cream mixture into noodle mixture.
- Spray a 4-quart baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Pour mixture into baking dish and top with swiss cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes, uncovered, until top is golden and casserole is bubbly.
- Serve immediately.
I’m overdue in posting this recipe for my friend Missy, but I hope she and you all love it. Want to save some fat and calories? Use fat-free sour cream and mayo and substitute breadcrumbs for the swiss cheese. The consistency is still great with low-fat or fat-free dairy and the texture of the breadcrumbs makes up for the cheese. Either way, I think you’ll find it better than that old box. Dig in!