We’ve really been focused on eating more local seasonal ingredients this year and have really loved it. The farm share we subscribe to has been amazing and we’ve tried to come up with recipes to take use such abundance! This past weekend we visited a local berry farm and found the biggest sweetest blackberries around. Of course, they were begging to be a dessert and we had a family fish fry/pool party Sunday that offered the perfect occasion.
- 8 Cups Fresh Blackberries
- 2 Tbs. Lemon Juice
- 3 Tbs. Sugar
For the topping:
- 1 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 2 Eggs, Beaten
- 9 Tbs. Butter, Melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash blackberries and pat dry with a towel. Place blackberries in a 13×9 baking dish sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Pour lemon juice over berries and then sprinkle with 3 tablespoons sugar. You can use more or less to taste based on the sweetness of your berries.
- In a medium bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Stir in the eggs until combined – the mixture should be crumbly.
- Spoon mixture over the blackberries. Do not press down or even out the crumbles – this is what makes the fantastic crispy bits of crust!
- Drizzle the melted butter over the crumbled mixture and place in the oven.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes until the berries are bubbly and the topping is golden brown.
- Serve immediately or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream.
This recipe is fairly straightforward and can easily substitute any fresh berry or combination. I like the proportions of this recipe because it lets the fruit be the star of the show and doesn’t completely cover it with crust – save that for pies! I’ll tell you this didn’t last long at our picnic, but if there’s leftovers keep the pan just loosely covered or the topping will get mushy. Now get our there and pick some for yourself. Dig in!