When the weather turns to fall, there’s a certain chill in the air even on the warm days. It’s for cool nights like these and throughout the holidays that hot mulled apple cider was intended. This is an easy recipe to make for an evening gathering, a tailgate or to keep on hand in the fridge for single servings. You can buy “mulling spice packets” in many stores, but this is easier and less expensive as a DIY!
HOT MULLED APPLE CIDER
- 1 Gallon Apple Cider (Filtered or Unfiltered)
- 3/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 3 Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 Tbs. Whole Cloves
- 1 Tbs. Whole Allspice
- 1 Tsp. Ground Mace
- Pour cider into a large pot and warm over medium heat.
- Add brown sugar to warmed cider and stir to dissolve.
- Add the spices and allow to steep in cider over medium-low heat for 90 minutes. Stir occasionally and do not allow to boil.
- Strain and serve immediately. You can also allow to cool, strain and then store in the refrigerator for up to a week or the expiration on your cider.
This cider will warm you up snuggled on the couch, by the campfire or to start your day. Any way you choose, you’ll love this sweet/tart/spiced treat! I guarantee you’ll make this once and then keep some on hand throughout the fall and winter. So, make a batch and enjoy with a few homemade snickerdoodles. Want to make it a party drink? Try adding a shot of spiced rum or cinnamon whisky to a warm mug – cheers! Dig in!