The holiday season is fast approaching and that means plenty of entertaining. It’s always good to keep some homemade snacks on hand for company or to take along as a hostess gift when visiting family and friends. This recipe is a simple way to dress up mixed nuts for a salty, sweet and savory snack you can make over and over again. A surprising hint of rosemary provides a contrasting flavor and slightly piney aroma that’s reminiscent of the holidays.
SWEET & SAVORY PARTY NUTS
- 4 Cups Salted Mixed Nuts
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 3 Tbs. Packed Light Brown Sugar
- 2 Tsp. Fresh Rosemary, Finely Chopped
- 1 Tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 Tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Tsp. Ground Ginger
- 1/2 Tsp. Fresh Grated Nutmeg
- 1/4 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Egg White
- 2 Tsp. Water
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine sugar, brown sugar, rosemary, onion powder, salt, ginger, nutmeg and pepper. Mix well with a spoon.
- In a separate bowl whisk together egg white and water until frothy.
- Add nuts to the egg white mixture and toss well to evenly coat.
- Pour nuts into spice mixture and mix well to evenly coat nuts with sugar and spices.
- Spray a 12-inch cast iron pan with cooking spray and pour nut mixture into it.
- Bake at 275 for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove nuts from oven and pour out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Allow to cool fully.
- Break up nuts and store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
These nuts were a huge hit at trivia night recently. I know we’ll make them often over the next few months with all we have going on. Don’t have a cast iron pan? Shame on you! But you can definitely make these on a heavy non-stick baking sheet. Also think about varying the herbs and/or nuts to your liking. I’ve seen similar receipts with just pecans or cashews. The addition of a little citrus zest would also bring another great flavor element. Give them a try and tell me what you think. Dig in!