There’s something to be said about using the freshest in-season ingredients when you’re cooking – what good chef or home cook doesn’t? We’re lucky enough to have a fantastic farm share that we subscribe to weekly and get deliveries of the best produce in the area. Last week we managed both blueberries and peaches and I just had to mix up this quick delicious dessert.
PEACH BLUEBERRY SKILLET CRISP
- 5-6 Medium Peaches
- 1 Cup Fresh Blueberries
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 1/3 Cup Sugar (a little less if your fruit is ripe and sweet)
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- Dash Salt
- 1 Stick (1/2 Cup) Cold Butter
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Packed Brown Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Rolled Oats
- 1 Tsp. Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel & slice peaches and place in a medium bowl. Wash blueberries, pat dry and add to peaches.
- Add remaining filling ingredients, mix lightly and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and oats.
- Cut butter into small pieces and put in the topping mixture bowl. Using a pastry blender or fork, mix together topping until mixture is crumbly and butter is in pea-size chunks.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch cast iron skillet or 9×9 baking dish with butter.
- Pour in filling and spread evenly – does not need to be perfectly level!
- Spoon the topping mixture over your fruit and cover completely. DO NOT press down, the topping will brown and crisp better without it being perfectly flat.
- Place pan in oven and bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes until top is lightly browned and fruit is bubbling on edges.
- Serve warm from the oven or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream.
There you are, an easy one that you can substitute with almost any fruit! If you think this one looks good, try it with apples or cherries. Dig in!