After a few weeks of heavy holiday eating (we loved every minute of it!) it’s time to lighten the menu. This salad recipe elevates mixed greens with the sweetness of blueberries, bite of red onions and saltiness of feta cheese. Now, on their own these are a wonderful combination, but they’re even better when drizzled lightly with this perfectly balanced balsamic dressing! Great at any time of the year, it’s a bright crisp addition to any meal, especially with winter soups and stews.
- 4 Cups Mixed Greens
- 1 Cup Blueberries
- 1/4 Red Onion, Sliced Thinly
- 1/2 Cup Crumbled Feta Cheese
HOMEMADE BALSAMIC DRESSING
- 1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Tbs. Cranberry Pear Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbs. Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 Tsp. Salt
- 1/4 Tsp. Black Pepper
- In a small bowl or mason jar with lid, place all dressing ingredients.
- Whisk together or close lid and shake well until thoroughly mixed and sugar is dissolved.
- Refrigerate until used or up to 1 week.
- Y0u can use any fruited balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar for a lighter, more neutral flavor.
- Arrange salad ingredients on 2-4 plates, depending on portion size. Drizzle lightly with dressing.
This is a basic recipe that can be updated with all kinds of variations. Try substituting dried cranberries and orange segments for the blueberries and goat cheese for the feta. As long as you keep the balance of sweet, tart and salty. I also like adding the crunch of candied pecans, toasted pine nuts or salty pistachios. Give a few of them a try and let me know your favorite combination. I’m sure you’ll get a lot of use our of the recipe from weekday suppers to weekend dinner parties. Dig in!