Weekdays are tough to create interesting dinners with busy work schedules, activities, etc. Even firing up the grill, something like a turkey burger can be pretty pedestrian, but it doesn’t have to be. Try this Southwest twist on the ol’ bird-patty, we loved it!
SOUTHWEST TURKEY BURGERS
- 2 1/4-Lbs Turkey Burger Patties
- 1 Tbs Taco Seasoning
- 1 Medium Red Onion
- 1 Tsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 slices Colby Jack Cheese
- 2 Buns, Lightly Buttered
- Preheat grill and dust both sides of each turkey burger with taco seasoning.
- Slice red onion into 1/2 inch thick slices, brush lightly with olive oil and salt and pepper each side.
- Grill turkey burgers and onion slices over high heat for 4-5 minutes per side. Juices should run clear for the burgers. Onion slices should be charred and soft, but hold together.
- Place cheese on burgers and place buns, buttered side down, on the grill. Take everything off grill and assemble burgers on buns. Top with a slice of grilled onion and a healthy dollop of guacamole.
These are super easy to make and always turn out like a restaurant-quality burger. Don’t be afraid to play with the toppings and add/substitute salsa, hot sauce, pickled jalapeño or pepper jack cheese!
- 2 Ripe Avocados
- 1/4 Red Onion, Diced
- 4 Campari Tomatoes, Seeded & Diced
- 2 Tbs Fresh Lime Juice
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- Core, scoop and dice avocados and place into bowl.
- Pour lime juice over avocado and add tomatoes and onions.
- Liberally season with salt and pepper and mix well. I like mine a little chunky, but mix and mash with a fork to your desired consistency.
This is the basic recipe for guac in our house. It’s easy to multiply if you need more for a party. I also like to add garlic and/or jalapeño depending on what I’m using it for. Seriously, always keep these ingredients on hand because it couldn’t look more like culinary genius when you pull this together last-minute for guests or just an impromptu beer or margarita on the patio!