You’ll feel like you’re having a “vacation brunch” when you bake my favorite blueberry muffins! Chock-full of sweet blueberries these dense tangy muffins are best when made in huge muffin tins. This recipe yields just 6 muffins, but it’s tough to eat a whole one yourself. Make them for your next weekend guests or for a lazy weekend morning on the patio with your iced coffee!
BLUEBERRY BUTTERMILK MEGA MUFFINS
- 2 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Stick Melted Butter
- 2 Eggs, Beaten
- 1 1/4 Cups Buttermilk
- 1 1/2 Cups Fresh Blueberries
- 1 1/2 Tbs Large Crystal Sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Stem and rinse blueberries and dry thoroughly on paper towels. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the first 4 dry ingredients.
- Add beaten eggs and buttermilk to dry ingredients and mix just enough to combine.
- Stir in melted butter until mixture is smooth. It will be a thick batter vs. loose like cake batter.
- Reserve 20-25 blueberries. Gently fold remaining blue berries into batter until just evenly combined.
- Spoon batter into large muffin tins (6 to a tray) that have been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Use remaining blueberries to top muffins and then sprinkle evenly with crystal sugar.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow finished muffins to cool in pan for 10 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
My mom made these muffins for me years ago and they are some of my favorites! I’ve tweaked the recipe since to get just the right density and amount of fruit to hold them together. I love them with blueberries, but they are excellent with mixed berries as well. Try some variations and let me know what you think!