I’m breaking in my new cast iron skillet lately. I thought there was a good chance to test out the crisping capability with a batch of home fries for breakfast. While the recipe is simple there are a few keys. Definitely use a cast iron skillet for perfect heat and crispy edges. Using a combo of canola oil and butter will also help to brown and flavor these. Finally, mix it up a little bit by using both sweet and russet potatoes.
MIXED POTATO HOME FRIES
- 1 Large Russet Potato
- 1 Large Sweet Potato
- 1/2 Medium Yellow Onion, Diced
- 2 Tbs. Butter
- 2 Tbs. Canola Oil
- 1 Tsp. Sweet Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1/2 Tsp. Pepper
- Peel potatoes and dice each into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Put oil and butter in skillet and warm over medium heat.
- Mix up potatoes and diced onion and then place into warm skillet.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and paprika over ingredients.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes. Potatoes will be soft and everything will have brown crispy edges.
- Serve immediately.
Breakfast, brunch or dinner, these home fries will be a hit with you and your guests. The recipe above serves 4, but you can easily double it for a larger serving. If you like, the addition of a half red or green pepper diced in this recipe is excellent as well. Maybe you’ll try it and use it as a base for a hash? Try diced ham and a few fried eggs over the top. Any way you fix it, it’ll be delicious. Dig in!