Sometimes a fat kid just wants cheese sauce on his veggies! There, I said it. For all the refined meals, healthy snacks and exotic ingredients there are times when you want the comfort of steamed broccoli and cauliflower smothered in rich cheesy melty goodness. Don’t buy the awful frozen stuff from the store. It takes just a few minutes to make my easy recipe and you’ll be good to go when you get your next craving!
CHEDDAR CHEESE SAUCE
- 2 Tbs. Butter
- 2 Tbs. Flour
- 1 Cup Milk (2% or Whole)
- 6 Ounces Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1/4 Tsp. White Pepper
- 2 Dashes Worcestershire Sauce
- In a small saucepan, warm milk over low heat.
- While milk is warming, melt butter is a medium saucepan.
- Add flour and stir together. Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes to cook out raw flour and make a light rue.
- Slowly pour warm milk into rue and stir together with a whisk until smooth. Continue to cook for a few minutes until mixture has thickened.
- Turn heat to low and stir in cheddar until melted. Do not use pre-shredded cheese as the mixture will get too thick and won’t be as smooth.
- Add salt, pepper and Worcestershire and stir.
- Immediately serve over your favorite steamed veggies.
Better than a fake-cheese mess you find in the frozen section of your grocery store, this will quickly become a standard in your house. Get your kids to eat their vegetables and enjoy the treat yourself. Mostly, just enjoy the comfy goodness and dig in!