It’s officially grilling season! Although I grill year-round, some of my neighbors are just getting started for the year. Beyond the typical burgers, dogs, chicken and steaks I love to mix it up and try new things. Using kielbasa or smoked sausage, these Hawaiian kabobs get a sweet and salty kick from chunked pineapple and a teriyaki glaze. Whisk away to the islands and try this recipe for your next grilled dinner.
- 1 Lb. Kielbasa or Smoked Sausage
- 1 Green Pepper
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 12 2-Inch-Square Pineapple Chunks
- 1 Cup Teriyaki Sauce
- Cut kielbasa, on a bias, into 12 even pieces.
- Core and seed green pepper, cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Cut 1/2 red onion into quarters and separate layers of onions.
- Arrange ingredients on metal kabob skewers by alternating sausage, pineapple, pepper and onion. You should be able to fill 4 12-inch skewers with the ingredients above.
- Grill kabobs over medium-low heat for 25 minutes. Turn every 5 minutes to cook evenly, brushing with teriyaki sauce each time. NOTE: I love using Trader Joe’s brand Island Soyaki as it has a great blend of teriyaki, soy, pineapple and sesame seeds.
- Remove from grill and serve immediately over white or brown rice.
A few ingredients, simple preparation and delicious results make this one a keeper. I know we’ll be making these throughout the summer and especially when we’re camping. They’re just as easy on a roasting stick over a fire as they are on the grill! Give them a try and let me know what you think. Dig in!