After a weekend on the road and eating out, it felt good to be back in the kitchen on a Monday evening! Taking my recipe for Basic Pesto I created this delicious combination that’s perfect for summer night with a glass of wine and crusty bread.
SAUSAGE & PESTO CAMPANELLE
- 1 to 1 1/2 Cups Basic Basil Pesto
- 1 Lbs. Campanelle Pasta
- 3 Links Sweet Italian Sausage, Casings Removed
- 8 Ounces Fresh Mozzarella Balls
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Prepare pesto per my recipe and set aside.
- Place pasta in boiling water and cook 10-11 minutes.
- While pasta is cooking, brown Italian sausage in a pan until cooked through. Don’t break it all up completed as the dish is better with small and large pieces both.
- Drain pasta and place in a large bowl. Add in sausage, mozzarella and 1 cup of pesto.
- Stir together until combined. You may need to add more pesto depending on taste and personal preference.
- Serve immediately and top with parmesan and red pepper flakes to taste.
The combination of crumbly sausage, bright pesto and slightly creamy mozzarella that gives this dish great balance. No fuss and few dirty dishes for a simply tasty dinner. Enjoy it with a glass of wine and good company. Dig in!