The early heat of this summer calls for cool refreshment! I love iced tea and have taken a liking to using green tea as a lighter alternative to traditional varieties. Try this sun-brewed recipe for my Honey, Mint and Ginger tea to add flavor and sweetness for a perfect summer afternoon or a little happy hour cocktail with the addition of vodka and a splash of soda water.
HMG Iced Green Tea
- 2 Quarts Water
- 4 Green Tea Bags
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 1 “Thumb” Fresh Ginger
- 3 Large Sprigs Fresh Mint
- Peel a thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger and cut into slices.
- In a small saucepan, combine two cups water, honey and ginger. Bring to a boil and then turn down to let simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a large glass pitcher, combine remaining water, tea bags, mint and honey/ginger liquid.
- Cover pitcher with plastic wrap and place outside in the sun. Allow to step for at least 4 hours.
- Remove tea bags and mint. You can also remove ginger pieces, but I like to leave them in to continue to flavor the mixture.
- Serve over ice.
If you’re feeling like a cocktail, add 2 ounces of good vodka to an ice-filled glass, fill 3/4 with tea and then top with soda water. Garnish with mint sprigs and an orange slice. Either way you make it, sit back, sip and enjoy!!