I hate to even put this on my blog as an actual “recipe”, but my wife insisted because it was so good. Sometimes it’s not about the technique or exotic ingredients, it’s just about the perfect combination and ratio of a few simple ones. Summer is winding down, but now is the perfect time to find the sweetest corn in Ohio. I like the combination of sweet corn, creamy rich avocado and the crisp bite of red onion to bring out the best flavors of all three. Here’s the super-simple recipe for one of my favorite new salads.
AVOCADO SWEET CORN SALAD
- 2 Ripe Avocados
- 2 Ears Sweet Corn
- 1/2 Medium Red Onion, Finely Chopped
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Black Pepper
- Shuck corn and either boil or grill until fully cooked. Allow to cool.
- Remove avocados from skins and cut into medium chunks, about 1″.
- Place diced avocado into a large bowl. Slice corn off cob and add to the bowl along with red onion.
- Sprinkle mixture with salt and pepper and toss until thoroughly mixed. DO NOT over-mix or you’ll turn your avocado to mush!
- Serve immediately. A squeeze of fresh lime can also be used to prevent avocados from oxidizing.
See, it’s not rocket science! I do love this combination though and never get tired of sweet corn when we can get it. Now I wouldn’t muck this up with other ingredients, but you could use fresh tomato and/or black beans as well if you wanted to give it some more variety. Remember that less is more and keep your ratios the same. The recipe above is enough to feed four, but it’s easily multiplied for larger groups. It’s also not too shabby to eat leftovers with tortilla chips either! Enjoy the tastes of the end of summer and dig in!