Much like its “frisky” name, these spicy cheesy sausage toasts will light a little fire in you! I often get requests for appetizer recipes that are easy for someone to take a bite and go. These hanky banks are hearty, delicious and sturdy enough to grab one and mingle with your drink vs. standing around a chip and dip bowl or carrying a plate around. Prepare these in a large batch and freeze to keep them handy for parties or a quick appetizer with drinks or for unexpected company. Kids and adults both will love them!
- 2 Lbs. Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Lb. Mild Pork Sausage
- 1 Lb. Spicy Pork Sausage
- 1 Tsp. Garlic Salt
- 1 Tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Tsp. Dried Oregano
- 32 Ounces Velveeta, Cut Into Chunks
- 2 Loaves Light Party Rye
- In a heavy pot, brown ground beef and sausage along with garlic salt, oregano and pepper flakes. Drain meat throughly.
- Place meat back in pot and add chunked Velveeta. Stir over low heat until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth. It will be thick, but should be able to stir.
- Remove from heat and spoon roughly 1 1/2 Tbs. of mixture onto each slice of party rye. Place each finished rye bread on cookie sheets until all bread and mixture is used. Put cookie sheets into freezer for 20 minutes until they are frozen or at least solid enough to stack in gallon freezer bags.
- Bag in servings of one dozen and freeze until ready to use.
- When ready to serve, place frozen hanky banks on a cookie sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees until they are bubbly and slightly browned. Serve immediately.
It never fails to please a hungry crowd when you bake up a few dozen of these spicy snacks. They’re perfect for football season and holidays or basically anytime you have no awareness of calorie count! If you have an aversion to spicy food, feel free to use all mild sausage and/or eliminate the red pepper flakes. If you want to make these in smaller batches you can also halve this recipe. However, if you’re going through the process, I highly recommend making the full amount – your family and friends will love them!!