I was given a pepper roasting rack some years back as a Christmas gift. And over those years, I’ve perfected this recipe for grilled sweet peppers stuffed with a spicy Italian filling. Delicious as a football-watching snack and pretty enough as an appetizer to bring to a dinner party. Try making these for your Super Bowl party tomorrow! And if you don’t have a special rack, you can use foil to fashion a checkerboard in the same shape to hold these upright on your grill.
ITALIAN SAUSAGE STUFFED MINI PEPPERS
- 24 Assorted Mini Sweet Peppers (most groceries sell them by the bag now)
- 8 Ounces Sweet Italian Sausage
- 1 Clove Garlic, Minced
- 1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Tsp. Dried Oregano
- 1/2 Tsp. Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- Wash and dry the peppers. Cut off tops and use a paring knife to remove any seeds and white membranes from inside. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine sausage (without casing), garlic, oregano, cheese and pepper flakes.
- Using a small spoon or your fingers, stuff each pepper with the sausage mixture. Only fill each pepper just to the top and don’t pack it too tight. The filling will expand when it cooks.
- Place peppers in your specialty rack or foil grid so that they are standing upright.
- Grill over low heat for 25-30 minutes. Peppers will be roasted, blistered and soft while the filling should expand and brown on top.
- Remove from grill and serve immediately.
Grab yourself an IPA, cocktail or glass of cabernet and savor these salty sweet bites. I guarantee that you’ll make these a staple snack for the big game or family functions. And make the small investment in the pepper rack, it’s totally worth the purchase to make this recipe as well as grilled jalapeño poppers! Dig in!