When I’m cutting back on the carbs for a meal, I like to use hearty vegetables to take the place of the potatoes and pasta I love so much. So forgoing the baked potato with our ribeye steaks tonight I opted for this Italian-inspired baked mushroom and tomato dish. A friend of mine, Todd – a fellow food connoisseur, made a similar dish almost 7 or 8 years ago for a dinner party and I haven’t forgotten about it. I know you’ll love the combination of sweet tomatoes, nutty mushrooms and salty parmesan breadcrumbs.
RUSTIC ROASTED MUSHROOMS W/TOMATOES
- 2 Quarts Button Mushrooms
- 12 Small Campari Tomatoes or 15-18 Large Cherry Tomatoes
- 6 Tbs. Olive Oil, Divided
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 Tbs. Italian Herb Seasoning (dry works well here)
- 1 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Black Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Dry Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash trim and quarter mushrooms. Place into a large bowl.
- Wash and dry tomatoes. Slice each one in half and squeeze gently to remove the seeds. Add to mushrooms.
- Pour 4 Tbs. olive oil over vegetables. Add minced garlic, italian herbs, salt and pepper.
- Toss gently to evenly coat vegetables and place into a 2-quart baking dish with high sides.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Combine breadcrumbs, parmesan and remaining 2 Tbs. olive oil in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle this mixture over mushrooms and tomatoes and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until topping is browns and veggies are bubbling.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
There’s a lot of liquid rendered from this dish so it’s best served with a slotted spoon. If you want to take advantage of all that liquid, you can also toss in 1 1/2 cups stale bread cubes before baking. Think of all that Italian-herbed earthiness soaked up in tender bread! Of course that defeats the purpose of going no-carbs. Either way, you’ll forget all about the missing potato and savor the flavor of this rustic side dish. I can’t wait to put a few over-easy eggs on the leftovers tomorrow. Dig in!
2 thoughts on “Rustic Roasted Mushrooms w/Tomatoes”
Made this dish and it was fantastic! I will double up the recipe and serve this as a side for a camping outing. Great stuff! Keep it coming.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I’m so glad you tried and liked it!!