BBQ season calls for coleslaw nearly every time, at least it does in our family! I love traditional mayonnaise-y versions as well as vinegar-based slaws. One of my very favorites is one my wife started making years and years ago. This Asian-inspired version is tangy, crispy and nutty. I honestly can’t get enough of it!
CRUNCHY ASIAN SLAW
- 1 Lbs. Bag Cabbage/Slaw Mix
- 2 Packages Beef Ramen Noodles
- I Cup Salted Sunflower Seeds
- 1 Cup Slivered or Sliced Almonds, Toasted
- 1 Bunch Green Onions, Chopped
- 3/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/3 Cup White Wine Vinegar
- 2 Envelopes Beef Flavor Packets (from ramen)
- In a dry frying pan, lightly toast almonds over low heat until slightly browned. Remove from heat and cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together slaw mix, almonds, sunflower seeds, green onions and crushed ramen noodles.
- In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients and whisk together until dissolved and smooth.
- Pour dressing over salad ingredients and toss to combine.
- Chill for 2-4 hours and serve.
This is an easy and delicious version that goes well with any grilled protein. Try it as a perfect acidic side dish to fatty short ribs or pork shoulder! Do you like thinks a little spicy? A thinly-sliced or finely-diced jalapeño or serrano pepper would be great here. I also like to add a little sriracha for a kick. Either way, I hope you love it too. Dig in!