The last hurrah of summer picnics was yesterday at my in-law’s house. And while it’s sad to have one last pool weekend of the year, we had a perfect day for family, fun and feasting! Nothing says party and picnic like these devil’s food sandwich cookies. Milk’s bff, they’re rich, decadent and unbelievably easy to make.
FUDGEY SANDWICH COOKIES
- 1 Box Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 2 Eggs
- 2/3 Cups Shortening
- 1 Can Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- Cream shortening and eggs with an electric mixer until combined.
- Add half the package of cake mix and beat until fluffy.
- Note: I’ve tried several mixes to get the best result and Kroger brand devil’s food cake mix is by far the best. However, any brand will give you a good results as long as it’s devil’s food.
- Add the remaining cake mix and beat just until combined.
- Using a cookie scoop, drop 1″ balls onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 9-12 minutes. BE CAREFUL! These cookies can burn really easily so watch them closely.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread bottom of one cookie with 1/2″ of fudge frosting and top with another cookie.
- Store in an airtight container until serving.
This recipe will make a dozen sandwich cookies, so we typically double it every time we make it. And while you could definitely make your own frosting and/or switch up flavors, this is a tried-and-true winner. Try them for your next tailgate or birthday party. Dig in!