The cold winter weather has me craving a hot breakfast lately. I love oatmeal on a cold morning and this recipe is a great way to start a blustery day. We used to have baked oatmeal at our friend Connie’s house every Memorial Day. There’s something about hearty oatmeal and warm milk that’s comforting. You’re going to love this one for a breakfast crowd or to use throughout your busy week.
BAKED CINNAMON OATMEAL
- 4 Cups Oatmeal (quick-cooking)
- 1 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 2 Tsp. Cinnamon
- 2 Tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 4 Eggs
- 1 1/2 Cups Milk
- 1 Stick Butter, Melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl add oatmeal, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Skim milk works fine here.
- Add liquid to dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in melted butter.
- Pour mixture into a 13×9 pan coated with non-stick spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cut into squares and serve immediately in bowls with warm milk.
Our tradition is to eat this with warm scalloped apples and warm whole milk. You can definitely vary the toppings based on your preference. You can also add dried fruit and/or nuts to the oatmeal before baking for added flavor and texture. I’d recommend that as an option if you plan on taking these tasty squares as a grab-and-go breakfast with your cup of coffee. You and your family will surely love this recipe as much as we do. Dig in!