Feel like heading a little south of the border for breakfast? In honor of Cinco de Mayo last weekend, I made these simple quesadillas. Gooey cheese, salty bacon and creamy scrambled eggs are the perfect filling for a crispy tortilla. The filling possibilities are endless – try these next weekend and change up your morning routine.
- 4 8-inch Flour Tortillas
- 4 Eggs
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 8 Strips Crispy Bacon, Crumbled
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheddar-Jack Cheese
- 3 Green Onions, Chopped
- Salsa, Hot Sauce and/or Sour Cream For Garnish
- Place eggs and milk in a bowl and whisk until combined.
- Scramble in a non-stick skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Cook eggs until almost dry, remove from heat and set aside in a bowl.
- Wipe skillet clean and spray liberally with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place a single tortilla in the skillet over medium-low heat. Sprinkle entire tortilla with 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- On 1/2 of the tortilla, spread out 1/4 of the scrambled eggs, 1/4 of the bacon and green onion to taste.
- When cheese begins to melt, use a spatula to fold half of the tortilla over onto the side covered in the eggs/bacon.
- When the bottom is golden brown, flip over entire tortilla to brown the other side.
- Remove from heat, cut into thirds and serve with your favorite toppings/sides.
One of these is enough for one person so this recipe makes enough for four. Like a little spice? Try using chorizo, roasted poblanos and pepper jack cheese. You can also use sausage and green peppers. There’s really no limit, but keep the proportions right or it won’t close properly. Do you have a brunch coming up? Double this recipe and place wedges in a warming tray for a perfect buffet finger food. Let me know what combinations you come up with – I’d love to hear your ideas! Dig in!