Cookies and ice cream are BFF’s in my latest dessert creation. To be honest, this is way easier than it sounds given that I already have an awesome recipe for Butterscotch Chocolate Chip Cookies on my blog from the holidays. With a few tweaks, you’ll have the perfect homemade sandwiches for your next picnic, birthday party or just for an occasional sweet treat!
CHIPPY ICE CREAM SANDWICHES
- Butterscotch Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- 1/2 Gallon Vanilla Ice Cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare cookie dough recipe per instructions.
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, spread out dough into a single layer.
- Bake 14-18 minutes or until edges are golden brown and center is set. The ice cream sandwiches actually stay together and cut better if the cookie is a little under-done.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely in pan.
- Remove ice cream from freezer and allow to thaw 10-15 minutes until it is spreadable, but not runny.
- Cut cookie in half and turn one half over so it is bottom-side up. Spread entire half gallon of ice cream in an even layer on cookie and top with the other half. Press and twist slightly to get good contact.
- Place entire cookie sheet in freezer and chill for 4-6 hours.
- Remove from freezer and cut into bars with a sharp knife. Serve immediately or store in zippered plastic bags in the freezer for up to one month.
With a little time and patience, you can make these super-decadent treats all summer long! Make them festive by substituting M&M’s for the chips or using different flavors of ice cream. Want to take it over the top? Make a quick chocolate ganache, dip half of each sandwich in it and then into colored sprinkles! The possibilities are endless when you have a good cookie recipe and quality ice cream – just make sure you have a sturdy batter that doesn’t get too crispy or it won’t hold up or cut properly. Dig in!