Who doesn’t love the homey goodness of crispy fried chicken?? Besides the grease and mess, it’s healthier to try my oven-fried version as you look to add recipes to your winter lineup. The combination of herbs and spices along with a little parmesan cheese give this recipe great flavor and texture while cutting down on the oil from a traditional fried chicken recipe. Give this a try on your next chicken night and you’ll be fixing this family favorite regularly.
- 4 Lbs. Chicken Pieces or Boneless, Skinless Breasts
- 1/2 Cup Milk (skim, 2% or buttermilk)
- 1/2 Cup Plain Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 Cup Self-Rising Cornmeal
- 1/3 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Tsp. Dried Parsley
- 1/2 Tsp. Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp. Ground Thyme
- 1/4 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbs. Butter, Melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a shallow dish, combine breadcrumbs, cornmeal, parmesan and spices. Mix with a fork to distribute evenly.
- Pour milk into another shallow dish.
- Dip chicken pieces into milk and then dredge in coating mixture. Press gently to coat each chicken piece well.
- Place chicken on a foil-lined baking sheet with enough space so pieces are not touching.
- Continue process until all chicken is dipped and coated.
- Place baking sheet in oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet and drizzle chicken with melted butter. Return to oven and bake for 40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.
- Serve immediately.
You may need to adjust cooking time depending on the size of your chicken pieces and whether they’re boneless or not. You may want to adjust the seasoning depending on how spicy you want it – a little more black pepper and two teaspoons of paprika would go a long way! Have some holiday parties coming up? Try making this recipe with wings or chicken legs for a great finger food. Let me know what variations you come up with – I’m sure they’ll be great. Dig in!