After some extraordinarily busy months, I’ve found time to get back to cooking and entertaining. And as summer weather has landed in Cincinnati, I’m looking forward to plenty of picnics, pool parties and family gatherings! One of my go-to dishes for any of these occasions is my Favorite 7-Layer Salad. There are lots of variations I’ve eaten in the past, but this particular combination of ingredients and dressing put this at the top of my list. Crisp, green and fresh, it makes the perfect side for any of your upcoming summer gatherings.
MY FAVORITE 7-LAYER SALAD
- 1 Head Iceberg Lettuce
- 1 Cup Diced Celery
- 1 Bunch Green Onions, Chopped
- 8 Ounces Frozen Peas
- 1 1/4 Cups Light Mayonnaise
- 3 Tbs. Sugar
- 1 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 1/2 Cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 6-8 Strips Cooked Bacon, Crumbled
- Chop or tear entire head of lettuce into bite-size pieces. Spread into an even layer in a 13×9 pan.
- Sprinkle diced celery over lettuce. Then spread green onions on top of celery.
- Pour frozen peas over salad in a single layer. Press down on first four layers to compact salad. HINT: I leave the peas frozen to keep the salad colder longer and it makes it easier to spread the dressing in the next step!
- In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, sugar and parmesan. Spread evenly over frozen peas.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over salad and finally top with bacon.
You can serve this immediate if it will be out where the peas will thaw quickly. You can also chill in the refrigerator for up to 6 hours prior to serving. Also, you can use regular mayo, more cheese and/or bacon to make it a little more over-the-top. Either way, I know you’ll love using this recipe throughout the summer. Looking for variations? Try using white onion instead of green for a little extra bite. Also consider swapping or adding a layer of radishes or green pepper for additional texture and flavor. Dig in!
One thought on “My Favorite 7-Layer Salad”
We even add small shrimp and chopped crab sticks for a seafood salad. It makes a great light summer lunch.
LikeLiked by 1 person